Austria has a temperate continental climate. Summer temperatures: around 25° C (77° F) to 35° C (95° F). Winter temperatures: often dropping below -10° C (14° F).
German is the official language in Austria, and is spoken natively by 88.6% of the population.
- Austria: 8,440,465 (1st January 2012)
- Linz (capital of Upper Austria): 191,107 (1st January 2012)
- Wels: 58,717 (1st January 2012)
Currency & Banking
Currency - The official currency of Austria is Euro (EUR, €). Therewith, Austria belongs to the 23 European countries that use the
common European money.
Banks - Banks are located in the sourrings of the congress area. Opening hours (depends on the Bank):
- Monday-Friday: 09:00 am - 12:00 (Lunch), 02:00 pm - 03:00 pm
- Saturday and Sundays: closed
ATMs - You may find ATMs within a bank or outside. Entering a bank during closing hours is usually possible with bank cards that
have a chip. In order to easierly find an ATM see the sign underneath. ATMs closest to the cogress area:
- Allgemeine Sparkasse OÖ, Stelzhamerstrasse 23, at the Campus
- Volksbank Wels, Pfarrgasse 5
- Raiffeisenbank Wels, Kaiser-Josef-Platz 58
- Many more ATMs on Kaiser-Josef-Platz
UTC/GMT +1 hour is the standard time zone in Austria. Daylight saving time starts end of March until end of October. In this periode the time zone differs from the standard: UTC/GMT +2 hours.
Time and weather information can be found here: www.timeanddate.com/worldclock
Power and Electrical Plugs
Electricity is 220-230V, 50 Hz. Austrian plugs have two round pins.
- Austria country code : +43 (or 00 43)
- Linz: +43 (0)732
- Wels: +43 (0)7242
- European emergency number: 112
- Austrian Police department: 133
- Austrian Ambulance: 144
- Austrian Fire department: 122
Adress: Bahnhofstraße 11 (close to the Campus)
Phone: 07242 46711, Web: sternapotheke.at
Opening hours: Mo - Fr: 8.30 am - 12.30 pm and 13.30 am to 18.00 pm, Sa 8.30 am to 12.00 noon.
Adress: Plobergerstraße 7
Phone: 07242 464880, Web: einhorn-apotheke.at
Opening hours: Mo-Fr 8.30 am to 12.30 pm and 13.30 am to 18.00 pm, Sa 8.30 am to 12.00 noon
Store Opening Hours
The opening hours of shops vary in Austria. Mostly though, the opening hours during the week are Monday – Friday, from 09:00 am - 18:00 pm and on Saturday, they are open until 13.00 pm or 17.00 pm.
No smoking at public places (e.g. airports, train stations, schools, universities, government administration buildings) and on public transport (e.g. trains). Smoking is not allowed in restaurants, bars and cafes.