How/where do I apply?

  1. Complete the online application form. LINK
  2. Upload all the required documents. You can only submit your application if all required documents are uploaded. We are particularly interested in all information regarding your academic education (certificates, subjects and hours).
  3. Your applications must contain scans of the following documents:
    • Bachelor Certificate
    • Transcript of Records (of your Bachelor degree)
    • Passport and Birth Certificate
    • Motivation Letter
    • CV
    • English Certificate (IELTS min. 6.0, TOEFL min. 78 or programme specific)
    • Secondary School Leaving Certificate ("A-levels", High School Diploma)
    • filled prerequisite form (programme specific)
  4. Qualifications from non-EU/EEA countries need to be formally checked through UniAssist. Find more information below.
  5. We will check your documents and give you feedback. If you meet all the formal requirements we will arrange an interview via Skype or MS Teams.
  6. We will inform you whether or not your application has been successful within a few weeks after all applicants have been interviewed.

Which documents are needed?


  • High school diploma
  • High school transcript (grades sheet) 
  • CV / resume
  • Letter of motivation (max. 500 words)
  • English Language Proficiency Certificate (see academic requirements)
  • Non-EU citizens require a Document Verification Certificate from UniAssist (see below for more detail)


  • Diploma
  • Transcript of Academic Records

Please also check the degree programme-specific requirements on their website.

What is Uni Assist?

For qualifications from non-EU/EEA countries, we have made adaptation in our online application platform. To check formally required documents, we are using the services of Uni Assist*, a widely used system in Germany. You will be re-routed to this system during the application process. Its core responsibility is the evaluation of international school and university certificates and determining their equivalence to Austrian educational standards. Services also include processing individual entry requirements of the target universities.

Language certificates

Applicants for the School of Engineering must have a B2 proficiency level in German or English language (depending on the tuition language of the study programme) at the time of their application. Depending on the language of tuition of the chosen study programme, language certificates for German (at least B2) or English (IELTS 6.0 or higher; TOEFL iBT 78 points or higher) must be presented. Exemption for citizens from from USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are exempt.


The following requirements must be met for acceptance in one of the university’s degree programmes.


  • High School Certificate/ A-levels or
  • Secondary School Vocational Certificate  or
  • University Entrance Exam or
  • Approved foreign school leaving certificate 
  • FH Study Preparatory Programme


  • completion of a relevant Bachelor's degree of at least 180 ECTS (or equivalent) form a recognised institution in Austria or abroad

Please note that the detailed entry requiremets for a Bachelor’s / a Master’s degree programme in Austria vary across different countries and higher education systems. Non-EU/EEA qualifications are therefore reviewed and checked by UniAssist.

In addition, some programmes require subject specific prerequisites, i.e. previous knowledge in certain areas. Please fill in the according pre-requisites form, listing all passed academic courses including grading and credit information for the according subject areas.

Student Residence Permit

In order to study in Austria for more than 6 months (i.e., for a full degree), you will need a student residence permit for the duration of one year. This permit needs to be extended annually.

You can either apply for a residence permit for students at the competent Austrian representative authority in your country of residence or at the competent residence authority within Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence. Nationalities who are entitled for visa-free entry to Austria are encouraged to apply for the student residence permit directly at the responsible Austrian public authority (Magistrat or Bezirkshautpmannschaft; depending on your place of residence in Austria) upon arrival.

For further details please check

Visa Info

Citizens of EU member states, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need a visa for entering the Republic of Austria.

Nationals of other countries might require a visa in order to enter the Schengen Area or the Austrian territory.

The correct type of visa depends on the length of your stay in Austria.  For stays of up to 180 days (6 months) a visa D is sufficient, while for stays of more than 6 months a student residence permit is required.

Important: note that a visa D cannot be extended in Austria, student residence permits need to be renewed after one year.

Some non-EU/EEA nationalitites are entitled to visa-free entry to Austria and can apply for their student residence permits upon arrival. More information at

Please check the links on general information and whether you require a visa or not: