Semester start

Winter Semester : Lectures: 1 October - 31 January, in some degree programmes (part-time) mid-September - mid-February

Summer Semester: Lectures: 1 March - 30 June, in some degree programmes (part-time) mid-February - mid-July

Please note that Welcome Weeks for international students are organized before the start of the academic year. Participation is mandatory for international degree-seeking students!


Health Insurance

Austria has an excellent public healthcare system. If you are staying in Austria for less than one year (i.e., exchange semester), you can organize your own health insurance from a provider in your home country. In addition,there is reciprocal health insurance among EU countries. International (non-EU) students must obtain full health insurance coverage for the duration of their stay in Austria. The recommended public insurance from the Upper Austria Health Insurance Company (ÖGK) offers student packages for a monthly fee (about € 60). Other health insurance providers in Austria are also available (e.g,

To register for insurance with the ÖGK you need the following: » Confirmation of enrolment at your campus (Inskriptionsbestätigung) » Your Residence Registration (“Meldezettel”) » Proof of health insurance coverage in your home country during the last 12 months The Upper Austria Health Insurance Company will then issue an insurance card called e-card for you which covers hospital stays, medical treatment and services, and reduced prescription charges.

Registration of Residence


Nationals of all countries, regardless of whether they entered Austria with or without a visa, have to register their place of residence in Austria at their registration office (municipal office) within three days of arrival in Austria. This is free of charge.

Checklist Registration Documents: » Registration form (Meldezettel) has to be signed both by the landlord e.g. student hall of residence official) and the student » Birth certificate » Travel document (passport with valid visa if applicable) Useful links: Residence registration (Meldezettel) document download:  General Information for international residents:

Working in Austria

A student residence permit generally allows students to take up gainful employment of up to 20h/week. However, dependingon the type of employment and job you might need additional permits. Exceptions for academic research and teaching as well as for mandatory internships apply. More information can be found on the following websites: OeAD and AMS.

Accommodation @ Wels Campus

There are several housing options in Wels. Regular degree-seeking students take care of their accommodation arrangements individually.


In Austria it is very common to share apartments amongst students. This is also very popular in Wels, where there are many accommodation options in walking distance of the university campus. The recommended housing service for international degree-students can be found at – here, you will find an overview of current accommodation offers for all Campus locations

There are two student dormitories in Wels: Kolpingheim ( and Georg Oberhaidinger Haus ( Please note that both dormitories are usually fully booked well before the start of a semester and can only be booked for the duration of one full semester or academic year. International students can book their rooms individually directly with the dormitories but should also check alternatives well in advance

If you choose to live in any other city, please note that your city of residence influences which public authority in Austria will be responsible for your residence permit.

Public transport costs in Austria

Austria has one of the most highly developed transport networks in the European Union with a dense bus and rail network criss-crossing the country.


In large towns there are various price deals for travel by public transport. A single ticket (for a trip through the town in one direction) costs an average of €2.20‑2.60. In many towns, however, there are daily, weekly, monthly or annual passes as well as special deals for tourists.


A train ticket from the Vienna Airport to Linz may cost from around 14 EUR to 45 EUR, depending on the offer you choose. The Austrian railway company ÖBB offers 'Sparschiene tickets' which have reduced price, and usually appear in the App 'ÖBB' weeks in advance. Please, note, that the ticket doesn't assign you a seat automatically. Place reservation is not necessary in Austria.

Another useful tip for you, before using ÖBB services, is buying a Vorteilscard, which gives a 50% reduction on all ÖBB full-price tickets. It costs around 20 EUR (for youth), and is valid for one year.

Cost of Living

Of course the cost of living depends very much on your personal life style. In average, you must calculate appr. EUR 600 - EUR 850 per month.

For example:

Accommodation incl. heating & electricity

EUR 250-450


EUR 220

Public transport

EUR 20

Study & personal requirements

EUR 70

Health insurance

ca. EUR 60



Austrian cuisine is composed of influences from Central Europe and throughout the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. Austria is proud of its coffee houses and restaurants, called 'Gasthaus'. In a typical Gasthaus you can get a big meal (for example, Schnitzel with fries J) for 9-10 EUR. If you know how to cook, your monthly nutrition budget will be around 160 EUR. To be mentioned, such low-cost supermarkets as Hofer and Penny have very friendly prices.