ISAE4W International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women
In light of recent developments concerning the coronavirus COVID-19, we would like to update you on how this affects our “International Summer Acadmey in Engineering for Women” (ISAE4W):
The situation in Austria is currently being closely monitored with strict precautionary measures taken (event cancellations, social contacts prevention, etc.) in order to avoid the further spread of the virus. All lectures have been suspended and moved to online/distance mode at all universities in Austria as of March 11 until at least Easter. The situation will be re-evaluated before Easter. We are in close contact with the Ministries as well as our regional public authorities and follow their recommendations. Students and staff are regularly being informed of the current developments.
At this stage our “International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women” (ISAE4W) is still scheduled for the 2nd half of July. Application is open until April 30 or further notice. We will keep monitoring the situation closely though and should the need arise to cancel or postpone our summer programme, we will provide according information on this website. Our priority is the health and safety of our visitors, students and staff.
The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria offers a unique opportunity for a selected group of highly-motivated and talented women (high school, college or undergraduate students) to experience top-class and challenging university-level coursework. The 7th Summer Academy will take place from 14th to 29th July 2020.
The Academy’s intensive, two and a half week programme combines sophisticated theory with hands-on practical experience in engineering and natural sciences. Besides knowledge transfer in these fields, social, cross-cultural and gender aspects were covered and discussed during lectures and workshops.
Lectures laboratories and seminars will cover the following specific issues and current trends:
- Environmental Engineering and Biotechnology
- GMO Detection in Food
- Electronics & Automation
- Robotics Workshop
- Current Topics in Medical Technology
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Mathematics
Applied Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Group project: cutting-edge technologies and their impact on society
- Project Management
- Internet of Things for Astronomical Observation
- Intercultural communication
- Creative Science: Discover Golden Ratio
- Dynamics of Space Vehicles
- Scientific World View
Women in Engineering
- The role of women in science and research
- Science World Café: successful scientists from the FH Upper Austria report from their careers and research projects
- Opportunities for future exchange, degree studies, traineships, funding opportunities
Interesting Places to Visit
- Visit to Rosenbauer, a manufacturer of systems for firefighting and disaster protection
- Andritz Hydro (Water Turbines)
- Museums: Ars Electronica Center – museum for information technology and technological advancements in society
- Cultural highlights in Upper Austria: Pflasterspektakel – street performance festival in Linz
In addition, the participants have an ongoing project throughout the entire academy. The project encompass scientific and technological aspects as well as creativity and social impact.
A team of highly qualified academic staff from our university as well as from other universities and organisations provide scientific and technical background on workshop topics and information about the role of women in science and their opportunities in scientific careers.
- Broaden technical & scientific knowledge
- Explore the impact of technology on our society in the future
- Earn academic credit (4 ECTS)
- Improve language und intercultural skills
- Make friends from all over the world
- Creativity, fun and experience
- Explore (Upper) Austria
- Target group: women from 18 to 25
- Language of instruction: English
- Venue: University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Wels, Austria | Europe
- Fees: € 780,- including tuition fees, room for the entire stay, meals on weekdays (weekends are free for individual activities), numerous field trips
Application: Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then receive a personalized registration link to our online application portal (application deadline: 30th April 2020)
Please note that due to limited capacities a maximum of two students per specialization and a total of four students per institution can be accepted. Acceptance decisions will be made exclusively based on the students’ qualifications and the fit with the offered specialization. Competitive entry: We reserve the right to decline applicants.
Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the review and selection-process by End of May 2020.
Please note that it is the student’s obligation to take care of visa arrangements for entry and the duration of their stay in Austria. For information about the visa requirements check the OeAD website https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence