ISAE4W International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women
ISAE4W - International Summer Academy in Engineering 4 Women 9th - 24th July 2019
For the 6th time the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria offers a unique opportunity for a selected group of highly-motivated and talented women (high school, college or undergraduate students) to experience top-class and challenging university-level coursework.
The Academy’s intensive, two and a half week programme combines sophisticated theory with hands-on practical experience in engineering and natural sciences. Besides knowledge transfer in these fields, social, cross-cultural and gender aspects were covered and discussed during lectures and workshops.
In addition to the general programme, each participant can choose one of the two specializations, which will be scheduled for approximately two days:
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Developments in medical technology regarding materials and prosthetic design and control
- Synthetic biology: promises and dangers for society
- Molecular biology: forensic DNA profiling and its computational analysis
Engineering and Technology
- Physics of ferromagnetic materials and their application in technology
- From conventional magnetism to a railgun
- Special high voltage applications in modern day technology
Additional lectures, laboratories and seminars cover the following specific issues and current trends:
Applied Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Group project: cutting-edge technologies and their impact on society
- Sustainability: the interconnections of different technological systems and considerations about how changes affect these systems
- Intercultural communication
- Innovation management – from the first idea to a business plan to the marketing of a final product
Women in Engineering
- The role of women in science and research
- Science World Café: successful scientists from the FH Upper Austria report from their careers and research projects
Interesting Places to Visit
- Companies: Visit to Rosenbauer, a manufacturer of systems for firefighting and disaster protection
- Museums: Ars Electronica Center – museum for information technology and technological advancements in society
- Cultural highlights in Upper Austria: Pflasterspektakel – street performance festival in Linz
In addition, the participants have an ongoing project throughout the entire academy. The project encompass scientific and technological aspects as well as creativity and social impact.
A team of highly qualified academic staff from our university as well as from other universities and organisations provide scientific and technical background on workshop topics and information about the role of women in science and their opportunities in scientific careers.
- Broaden technical & scientific knowledge
- Explore the impact of technology on our society in the future
- Earn academic credit (4 ECTS)
- Improve language und intercultural skills
- Make friends from all over the world
- Creativity, fun and experience
- Explore (Upper) Austria
- Target group: women from 18 to 25
- Language of instruction: English
- Venue: University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Wels, Austria | Europe
- Fees: € 780,- including tuition fees, room for the entire stay, meals on weekdays (weekends are free for individual activities), numerous field trips
The application period for ISAE4W 2019 is now closed. Should there be any waiting list spots, we will update our webpage. Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the review and selection-process by End of May.
Please note that due to limited capacities a maximum of two students per specialization and a total of four students per institution can be accepted. Acceptance decisions will be made exclusively based on the students’ qualifications and the fit with the offered specialization. Competitive entry: We reserve the right to decline applicants.
Please note that it is the student’s obligation to take care of visa arrangements for entry and the duration of their stay in Austria. For information about the visa requirements check the OeAD website https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence