ISAE4W International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women
The next ISAE4W will be held from 14th – 29th July 2020! Find more information here
Two and a half weeks of pure cultural diversity. 26 women from New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Finland, the Netherlands, Ireland, UK, Austria, Croatia, Spain, Mexico and Canada. 15 countries. A unique experience.
From the 10th till the 25th of July 2018, the fifth International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women” (ISAE4W) took place at the School of Engineering of the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria.
The programme aiming at female students worldwide between 18 and 25 is very practice-oriented – from building robots, discussing or giving presentations and experimenting in the laboratories, students were working hands-on. Classes like Intercultural Group Finding or Creative Science encouraged the students to think outside the box and learn with and from each other while improving language and intercultural skills.
Participants chose between two specializations that best suited their interests and reflected their studies. The Natural Science specialization gave exclusive insights to molecular biology offering workshops and laboratory classes on gas chromatography or DNA forensics but also covered developments in medical technology. The Engineering and Technology specialization consisted of lectures and laboratory experiments in high voltage engineering and magnetic materials.
During the newly established Science Café students had the chance to get to know and share experiences with fellow women in Engineering from Austria and abroad. Visits to the world-known manufacturer of fire fighting vehicles Rosenbauer as well as the science museum ARS Electronica were only some of the academy’s highlights.
In addition, a social programme was offered to the participants, most of whom came to Austria for the very first time. A Wels city tour, climbing lessons and trips to Linz, Traunkirchen as well as a traditional Austrian “Mostbauer” in Gunskirchen made them discover Upper Austria and its culture.
- Developments in medical technology regarding materials and prosthetic design and control
- Synthetic biology: promises and dangers for society
- Molecular biology: forensic DNA profiling and its computational analysis
Engineering and Technology
- Physics of ferromagnetic materials and their application in technology
- From conventional magnetism to a railgun
- Special high voltage applications in modern day technology
Additional lectures, laboratories and seminars cover the following specific issues and current trends:
Applied Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Group project: cutting-edge technologies and their impact on society
- Sustainability: the interconnections of different technological systems and considerations about how changes affect these systems
- Intercultural communication
- Innovation management – from the first idea to a business plan to the marketing of a final product
Women in Engineering
- The role of women in science and research
- Science World Café: successful scientists from the FH Upper Austria report from their careers
Interesting Places to Visit
- Companies: Visit to Rosenbauer, a company producing the most sophisticated fire engines in the world
- Museums: Ars Electronica Center – museum for information technology and technological advancements in society
- Cultural highlights in Upper Austria: 32nd Pflasterspektakel – street performance festival in Linz
In addition, the participants have an ongoing project throughout the entire academy. The project encompass scientific and technological aspects as well as creativity and social impact.
A team of highly qualified academic staff from our university as well as from other universities and organisations provide scientific and technical background on workshop topics and information about the role of women in science and their opportunities in scientific careers.
- Broaden technical and scientific knowledge
- Earn academic credit (4 ECTS)
- Improve language und intercultural skills
- International contacts
- Creativity, fun and experience
- women from 18 to 25
University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria
School of Engineering
Application for ISAE4W 2019 will start end of 2018. Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the review and selection-process by End of May.
Please note that due to limited capacities a maximum of four students per institution can be accepted. Acceptance decisions will be made exclusively based on the students’ qualifications. Competitive entry: We reserve the right to decline applicants.
Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the review and selection-process by End of May 2019.
Please note that it is the student’s obligation to take care of visa arrangements for entry and the duration of their stay in Austria. For information about the visa requirements check the OeAD website https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-residence-and-employment/
approx. € 800,-
including tuition fees, room for the entire stay, meals on weekdays (weekends are free for individual activities), numerous field trips