ISAE4W International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women
11th - 26th July 2017 | University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Wels Campus
For the 4th time, the International Summer Academy for Women in Engineering (ISAE4W) offers an ideal opportunity for a selected group of highly-motivated and talented women (high school, college or undergraduate students) to experience top-class and challenging university-level coursework.
The Academy’s intensive, two and a half week programme combines sophisticated theory with hands-on practical experience in engineering, informatics and natural sciences. In addition to knowledge transfer in these fields, social, cross-cultural and gender aspects are covered and discussed during lectures, seminars and workshops.
Each participant can choose from one of three specializations:
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computer Science and Informatics
- Development of the natural sciences and world-view from ancient Greece to modern day physics
- Synthetic biology: promises and dangers for society
- Molecular biology: forensic DNA profiling and its computational analysis
Engineering and Technology
- Physics of ferromagnetic materials and their application in technology
- From conventional magnetism to a railgun
- Special high voltage applications in modern day technology
Computer Science and Informatics
- What computer science can learn from nature - Evolutionary optimization algorithms and data mining
- Importance of online privacy
- Human and computer interaction
The further lectures, laboratories and seminars will cover following specific issues and current trends:
Applied Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Research talks: successful scientists from the FH Upper Austria introduce their research projects
- Group project: cutting-edge technologies and their impact on society
- Sustainability: the interconnections of different technological systems and considerations about how changes affect these systems
- Intercultural communication
- The role of women in science and research
- Innovation management: from the first idea to a business plan to the marketing of a final product
Interesting Places to Visit
- Companies: Visit to Rosenbauer, a company producing the most sophisticated fire engines in the world
- Museums: Ars Electronica Center – museum for information technology and technological advancements in society
- Cultural highlights in Upper Austria: 31st Pflasterspektakel – street performance festival in Linz
In addition, the participants will have an ongoing project throughout the entire academy. The project will encompass scientific and technological aspects as well as creativity and social impact.
A team of highly qualified academic staff from our university as well as from other universities and organisations will provide scientific and technical background on workshop topics and information about the role of women in science and their opportunities in scientific careers.
- Broaden technical and scientific knowledge
- Earn academic credit (4 ECTS)
- Improve language und intercultural skills
- International contacts
- Creativity, fun and experience
- women from 18 to 25
Language of instruction
University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria
School of Engineering
including tuition fees, room for the entire stay, meals on weekdays (weekends are free for individual activities), numerous field trips
Application Deadline has ended by 30th April 2017. Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the review and selection-process by End of May.
Please note that due to limited capacities a maximum of two students per specialization and a total of four students per institution can be accepted. Acceptance decisions will be made exclusively based on the students’ qualifications and the fit with the offered specialization. Competitive entry: We reserve the right to decline applicants.