How much is the tuition fee?

The majority of study fees are covered by government. For all BA and MA programmes at FH Upper Austria a contribution of EUR 727 per semester applies + EUR 20 ÖH (Austrian Student Union) contribution for students from non-EU states. A merit-based scholarship can be awarded to international students to recognise prior achievement and performance during studies. It becomes available only after the first semester.

Books and library fees

The University of Applied Sciences does not demand any expensive purchases of study materials from students. Often lecturers provide students with free handouts and online materials. Exceptions for some programmes may apply. No library fees need to be paid.

Are there any scholarships for me?

A merit-based scholarship is awarded to international regular students to recognise prior achievement and performance during studies. It becomes available only after the first semester, and covers 50% of the semester tuition fee.

There is a number of other governmental and private scholarships on the following websites: , ,or sometimes also at (unfortunately this page only exists in German language). There are different funding options for the individual countries of origin and fields of study.

For foreign students from the EU, EEA and Turkey, funding from the Lifelong Learning Program (LLP) is offered. Information is available at

In general, there are only a few support programs that go beyond the entire study period or cover the total costs.

What language proficiency certificates do I need?

Applicants must have a B2 proficiency level in German or English language (depending on the tuition language of the study programme) at the time of their application. Depending on the degree programme, language certificates for German (at least B2) or English (B2 certificates: Toefl 78-109, IELTS 5.0-6.5, FCE grade B or C, CAE 45-59) must be presented.

Who will help me to apply and adapt at a new place?

Buddies and student ambassadors are the FH OÖ students who volunteered to help internationals with applying to FH, moving to Austria and adapting to the local way of life.

There are currently 12 Student Ambassadors, responsible for one country each. Ambassadors give helpful advice to their country fellows at the stage of application process. After the student is accepted to the programme, he or she can get a helping hand from the International Office – a buddy. The buddy can help you with the accommodation choice, meet you at the train station upon your arrival, and give a small introductory tour around the city.

How do I apply to FH Upper Austria?

Step 1. Choose up to two Bachelor or Master Degree programmes at FH Upper Austria, and apply through the application portal: .  

Step 2. Pass an entrance exam or an interview, as required by the chosen study programme. Some Master programmes may demand a personal interview and tests, which means that you will have to come personally for an interview, and pass examination at Campus.

Step 3. If you got enrolled to the study programme, you will receive an Acceptance letter. Gather all other required documents for the residence permit, and apply for a Visa type D at the Austrian Embassy in your country of residence.

Step 4. Welcome to Austria! Your assigned buddy or student ambassadors can help you with useful pieces of advice in the first weeks upon arrival.

What is the cost of living for a student in Austria?

Of course, the cost of living depends very much on the standard of living of the student. On average, the following costs have to be taken into account:

  • Accomocation € 180,- to 300,-
  • Food € 200,-
  • Insurance € 60,-
  • Study & Leisure activities € 230,-

Total costs per month € 670,- to 800,-

How do I arrange my accommodation and housing?

Here a distinction is made between regular students and incoming students. Incoming students (who come for an exchange or double/degree programme) receive all-round support from the International Office at the respective location. The foreign regular students have to search and book accommodation on their own.

It is fairly easy to find rooms and flats next to FH Campuses. Advertisements can be found in local newspapers and online (even in FB groups). The cheapest accommodation would usually be a room in WG (Wohngemeinschaft), which is a shared flat, and is very common for students here.

Private rooms and apartments, as well as shared flats, can be found here:

The first month's rent, and, in most cases, a security deposit must be paid before arrival.


Since Linz is home to eight universities, there are numerous students' halls of residence (rent there starts at about Euro 280/month for a single room):

  • Dr. Karl Grünner Haus

Kaisergasse 33, 4020 Linz

Email: clever-wohnen (at)

Phone: +43 690 8012894



  • Studentenheim Garnisonstraße

Garnisonstraße 15, 4020 Linz

Email: office (at)

Phone: +43 732 25 15 33 -30



  • Studentenheim Europahaus

Ziegeleistraße 19, 4020 Linz

Email: clever-wohnen (at)

Phone: +43 690 8012893



  • Dr.–Ernst–Koref–Heim Linz

Prunerstraße 3a, 4020 Linz

Email: office (at)

Phone: +43 732 25 15 33 -30



  • Studentenheim Kaisergasse

Kaisergasse 31, 4020 Linz

Email: office (at)

Phone: +43 732 25 15 33 -30





What kind of visa do I need?

For more information about visa in your country, check the section "International"-> "Your country", and choose your country. Otherwise, go directly to the OeAD website:

What is the procedure for Non-EU-students before entering Austria?

All those interested in studying in Austria for less than 6 months need to apply for a visa at an Austrian consulate or embassy before coming to Austria.

  • A travel visa C ("Schengenvisa"): entitles you to stay in Austria and in all other Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days; it is not necessary if you are allowed to enter Austria without a visa
  • A residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D): for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months; not necessary if you are a Japanese national

If you are intending to stay for more than 6 months it is possible to apply for a residence permit for students within Austria (after lawful entry). Please contact the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate) for further information.

  • A residence permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Student") entitles you to stays for more than 6 months (and up to 12 months). It may be extended within Austria.

To find out more about the visa process, please check the OeAD website ( ) for detailed information.

Within 3 working days of arrival in Austria, you have to register with the registration office (Meldeamt) at you place of residence.

What is the situation if I am an EU citizen?

If you are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you need no visa to come to Austria. If you have sufficient financial means to finance your stay in Austria and valid health insurance covering all the necessary costs, you only need a valid travel document (passport or identity card) for entry to and residence in Austria. If you are going to stay in Austria for more than 3 months you have to register with the competent municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within 4 months of your stay. 

What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?

You can find all detailed information on the OeAD website. Please read the information thoroughly! The website and the guides provide checklists for the application for Visa or Residence Permits; you can also find all necessary links to application forms, explanation of the application forms in English and contact details of universities and Austrian authorities. Make sure that your application is complete; if the Austrian authority needs to get back to you for further information, the application process might be delayed.

Where can I apply for a visa/student residence permit?

  • You can either apply for a residence permit for students at the competent Austrian representative authority in your country of residence or at the competent residence authority within Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence. For further details please enquire directly at the competent Austrian representative authority.

When should I start the application process for a residence permit for students? How long does it take to receive confirmation?

The general processing period for a Residence Permit for students is 90 days. Please note that you may have to start preparations early due to possible required legalization and translation of your documents.

What are the financial requirements for a visa?

You have to prove sufficient financial means to finance your stay: students up to 24 years of age have to prove that they have at least 515,30 Euros per month ; students of 24 years of age or older have to prove that they have at least 933,06 Euros per month [as of 2018] – these amounts have to be proved for a maximum of 12 months – e.g. by means of a savings account or a bank account (the account has to be accessible from Austria); a Declaration of Guarantee from a person living in Austria; proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the necessary amount; or a confirmation of the award of a scholarship/grant. If the costs for accommodation exceed 294,65 euros/month, you will have to prove additional funds.

What is valid proof of personal income to finance my stay in Austria that I can show the embassy?

This proof of financial means can be provided in different ways, for example, a savings book or deposits in a bank (the account has to be accessible from Austria), proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques, or a letter of guarantee from a person living in Austria or an institution domiciled in Austria. You may have to provide proof of the origin of your fundings.

Can I renew my residence permit?

Only residence titles (residence permits – Aufenthaltsbewilligung) and settlement permits (Niederlassungsbewilligung) can be renewed in Austria. You have to apply for a renewal before expiry of the original permit. Until a decision about the renewal has been taken you may – even after expiry of your original permit – stay in Austria. To find out more about the admission process, please check the information on the OeAD website.

What is life in Austria like?

Public transport costs in Austria


A train ticket from the Vienna Airport to Linz may cost from around 14 EUR to 45 EUR, depending on the offer you choose. The Austrian railway company ÖBB offers 'Sparschiene tickets' which have reduced price, and usually appear in the App 'ÖBB' weeks in advance. So, you can easily book a good ticket online several weeks prior to your departure. Please, note, that the ticket doesn't assign you a seat automatically. Place reservation is not necessary in Austria. However, if you are afraid that there will be not enough seats, you can add place reservation to your booking.

Another useful tip for you, before using ÖBB services, is buying a Vorteilscard, which gives a 50% reduction on all ÖBB full-price tickets. It costs around 20 EUR (for youth), and is valid for one year.


Most likely you won't need any public transport if you live in Steyr, Wels or Hagenberg. However, in Linz you will, as it is the 3rd largest city of Austria, which even has an Airport. The city infrastructure is so well-organized, that Linz has won a European Award for Smart Tourism. The fact that Linz was chosen to be the European Capital of Culture in 2009 is testimony to its rich cultural life and its general convivial atmosphere.

Students can apply for an "Active pass", and the public transport ticket would cost then just 13 EUR/month. A regular monthly ticket for all types of public transport in Linz (Linz AG Linien), called 'Transferable monthly pass', costs 46,20 EUR.


Austrian cuisine is composed of influences from Central Europe and throughout the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. Austria is proud of its coffee houses and restaurants, called 'Gasthaus'. In a typical Gasthaus you can get a big meal (for example, Schnitzel mit Pommes) for 9-10 EUR. If you know how to cook, your monthly nutrition budget will be around 160 EUR. To be mentioned, such low-cost supermarkets as Hofer and Penny have very friendly prices.

What are my future career opportunities after graduation?

Career opportunities after graduating from the FH Upper Austria are classified as positive. Due to a practice-oriented training during the studies and close cooperation with companies (project works, Bachelor or Master thesis), students get a network of contacts, which they can use for their future job-search. Professors and Offices also regularly share job proposals with their students. Many graduates find jobs in one of the companies for which they have already worked during theirs studies. Job opportunities abroad are much promising as well. Professors and Offices also regularly share job proposals with students.

Each year many national and international companies flood our three career fairs in Hagenberg, Wels and Steyr to get to know our students and alumni personally. If you want to get to know your future employers  - the career fairs are the best place for the initial personal contact. <link en alumni-careers career-fairs>

FH Upper Austria has its own Job Portal for its graduates. We offer all interested companies the opportunity to publish offers for internships, projects, thesis topics, part-time jobs and full-time positions on this Job Portal: <link en alumni-careers job-portal>

Job search after FH OÖ graduation:

Have I done everything to prepare myself for studies at FH Upper Austria?

Before Application

  • Did I inform myself about the different possibilities at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria?  Do I have all required documents?  Do I fulfil the entrance requirements?  Are my documents legalized and translated?   Am I entitled to grants & scholarships?

Before Arrival

  • Did I receive my acceptance letter?    For citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland: Do I have the right visa?   Did I book accommodation? Did I receive a confirmation?    Is my passport valid for the duration of my stay?   Did I purchase international health insurance?   Do I regularly check my e-mails for updates from the university?   Did I inform the administrative assistant and the dormitory about my arrival time?

In the First Days

  • Did I submit my registration form (Meldebestätigung)?   Did I apply for full health insurance coverage in Austria?   Did I pick up my residence permit?   Did I return my contract of study?   Did I open a bank account?   Did I bring the original documents (…) to the administrative assistant?

Before Departure

  • Did I deregister at the registration office (you will need your registration form)?   Did I close my bank account?   Did I complete all formalities at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (e.g. degrees and transcript, returning my locker keys, etc.)?    Did I return my room key and did I pay all outstanding bills?

What kind of support from the FH Upper Austria can students expect?

Here a distinction is made between regular students and incoming students.

The foreign regular student is considered equal to the Austrian student. The International Office (IO) is therefore NOT responsible for him / her. He / she has to take care of everything himself/herself. In reality, however, the IO then helps in the case of further searches (for example, when looking for a flat, tips from the authorities, ...).

Incoming students receive all-round support from the IO at the respective location. The help goes from the search for a flat, all official channels up to the preparation of the timetables. In addition, each Incoming student gets a student Buddy, who receives him / her on arrival, shows them everything, is the contact person for problems and supports him with the formalities.

Is there any difference between a University of Applied Sciences and a „ordinary“ university?

Formally, the FH degrees (Bachelor / Master) should equal the university degree. However, there is no guarantee that bachelor graduates will be admitted to doctoral studies for master studies. Reasons for this are on the one hand the very restrictive specification of the duration of the study by the legislator and with it connected an "imbalance" to so many university studies and its regular study duration (which is actually an advantage of the FH).

On the other hand, the curriculum of the FH studies provides for a higher level of practical experience, so that the universities require additional performance certificates for admission upon transfer.

Universities of Applied Sciences have NO PhD right.

Anyone who goes to the FH, envisages a practice- or career-oriented study with the intention to enter professional life immediately after graduation.

Is the degree recognized in my home country (formal or technical)?

The degree programs of the FH Upper Austria are accredited and recognized by the state. The accreditation granted by the Republic of Austria additionally guarantees international recognition through various bilateral agreements. Diploma supplements are issued for all forms of training in English at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, which should also enable recognition and nostrification abroad.

FH studies are always accredited for a maximum period of five years and only re-admitted by experts after a thorough external evaluation. This ensures that the contents of the training are of a high quality and that the "promised" professional ability of the graduates is given.