An international school leaving certificate or university degree qualification can be recognised as equivalent to an Austrian one due to either a bilateral agreement, or a proof of made up course content, or official conversion into an Austrian qualification via the process known as ’Nostrifizierung‘. The required proof of fulfilling the entrance requirement for higher education also depends on the country of origin. Detailed information on individual countries and qualifications can be found on www.anabin.de. Every case has to be considered individually.
In principle the following requirements apply:
- For Bachelor's degree programmes: A-Level/high school certificate (or equivalent)
- For Master's degree programmes: Most degree programmes at the FH Upper Austria are designed consecutively. That means, there is a connection in terms of content between a Bachelor’s degree and the consecutive Master’s degree. Access to the Master’s degree programmes is open to graduates from relevant related Bachelor’s degree programmes in other universities in Austria and abroad. In certain cases missing ECTS credits in specific subjects must be made up.
The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria charges tuition fees for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes as follows:
EU/EEA citizens*: EUR 363.36 per semester (plus Austrian Student Union fee EUR 19,20)
Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries**: EUR 726.72 per semester (plus Austrian Student Union fee EUR 19,20)
Merit-based scholarships are available.
* Tuition fees for citizens from EU and EEA countries apply to:
- Nationals of EU and EEA countries
- Swiss nationals
- Third-country nationals who, according to paragraph 2 FHStG, are subject to paragraph 1 of the ordinance governing the admission of certain groups of potential students
** Tuition fees for citizens from EU and EEA countries apply to:
Third-country nationals not subject to the ordinance governing the admission of certain groups of potential students
Please note: Exchange students are exempt from tuition fees!
For applicants from Non-European Union countries, we have made adaptation in our online application platform. To check formally required documents, we are using the services of Uni Assist*, a widely used system in Germany. You will be re-routed to this system during the application process.
How to apply online via Uni Assist*:
- Step: Start your application under: https://application.fh-ooe.at/
- Step: When you fill in your citizenship, and this is a Non-Eu-citizenship, you will be asked to visit the Uni-Assist* website and apply also here. At that point you can stop your application and save all the already uploaded information.
- Step: Apply at Uni-Assist* on: https://my.uni-assist.de/. You will find our university under “FH Oberösterreich” – choose your study degree programme, upload the required documents. For Uni Assist's* services, you have to pay a single fee of 79 EURO. Now you have to wait for two – three weeks to receive the preliminary review document VPD**.
- Step: Now you can easily complete your application at our application portal. Just go to: https://application.fh-ooe.at/ and log in with your data. Finish the application, upload the required documents and the VPD** you received from Uni-Assist* and submit the application.
- Step: You should receive a confirmation via email that the application was successful.
This procedure ensures a transparent, straightforward and facilitated document check, with less bureaucratic hurdlesand fewer authentication requirements. This should help you to get a safe access to studies at our university. On our side, application remains completely free and with your VPD** document, you can apply at any of our study programmes.
If you have an application number from Uni Assist, and did not yet apply with us, please do so, and let us know. We then might proceed your application faster. If you need help, you can connect via our chatroom https://international.chat.fh-ooe.at which is open every day or use whats app to get your questions answered.
*Uni Assist: Its core responsibility is the evaluation of international school and university certificates and determining their equivalence to German educational standards. Services also include processing individual entry requirements of the target universities.
** VPD is a certificate issued by uni-assist which you submit directly to the university when you apply there. The VPD contains information on which educational certificates you presented to uni-assist, which kind of university entrance is possible with these certificates, and how uni-assist rates your grade within the German system of grades.
Depending on the degree programme, German language certificates (min. B2 or German Preparation Programme) and English (TOEFL, IELTS certificate) are required. Evidence of higher education depends on the country of origin. Detailed information can be obtained from ANABIN or the Federal Ministry of Science.
Applicants from the following countries have to submit a relevant professional qualification in accordance with the Fachhochschule Studies Act section 4 subsection 4 (§ 4 Abs 4 FHStG) or a general university entrance qualification in accordance with the Fachhochschule Studies Act section 4 subsection 5 (§ 4 Abs 5 FHStG) whereby only certified documents will be accepted.
- Africa (esp. North Africa and West Africa e.g. Egypt, Libya)
- Sri Lanka
It is necessary to provide “full diplomatic legalization”:
- Authentication of the certificate by the competent ministry (ministry of education for example) of the country of origin
- Legalization by the ministry of foreign affairs of the country of origin
- Apostille from the Austrian representation in the country of origin
University applicants from China have the opportunity to contact the academic test centre in Beijing (APS Peking). All the essential documents can be tested there for their authenticity and plausibility. For more details go to https://www.aps.org.cn/internationale-kooperationen/oesterreich.
We understand that your university instruction might have been fully taught in English, however the (FH OÖ) University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria has a language policy where all applicants (with the exception of nationalities of USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand) are required to produce an official and current (2 years) IELTS (min 6.0) or TOEFL (min. 78 points) English certificate. We do not accept TOEIC certificate. For German (at least B2) must be presented. If you take a TOEFL test, you can use our university's TOEFL code (9775) to have the results sent to our institution directly.
Legalisation confirms the authenticity of documents, signatures and authorities that issued the document. Three scenarios are possible depending on the issuing country (no legalisation is required, legalisation in the form of the Apostille or full diplomatic legalisation). We accept original documents in German or English. Possible translations have to be done before the legalisation. For information about legalisation requirements for individual states, please refer to the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research. Responsible for questions about academic recognition: NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) AUSTRIA.
Being well-informed is a prerequisite of choosing the right degree programme and profession. You can obtain a wide range of insights from our website, social media, conversations with professors and students as well as information days.
Send your documents either immediately online or on paper. It is possible to apply for two degree programmes simultaneously.
3. Admission Process
Applicants to all study degree programmes, who fulfil the formal prerequisites, will be invited to an interview. A further component of the process can be a potential test or a portfolio.
All applicants receive detailed information regarding the application process at the interview. Some programmes also send out written feedback regarding the status of their applications.
5. Semester Start
Studying begins with degree programme specific introductory and info events on campus life.
In order to support our valued future students in the current situation, the application deadlines for the upcoming winter semester 2021/22 have been extended for EU- and Non-EU citiziens until 31 August 2021.
Please note: Admission is subject to availability of study places.