ISAE4W International Summer Academy in Engineering for Women
We are very happy to announce, that after last year's cancellation due to Corona, the "International Summer Academy in Engineering 4 Women" took place again this year at the University of Applied Sciences at Wels Campus.
12 girls from 7 countries gained new experiences abroad in and around Upper Austria and not only studied technical subjects in the workshops and seminars, but also made new friends in an intercultural and interdisciplinary network.
The participants travelled from Mexico, Chile, Spain, Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany and Austria, in compliance with all quarantine regulations.
The organisers, Dr Claudia Probst and Dr Karin Nachbagauer, welcomed students from a wide range of technical backgrounds. With different workshops, they tried to reflect the diverse interests of our participants, but also the range of technology. The programme included exclusive insights into the world of hydropower, space technology, ethical and sustainable product design, Internet of Things for astronomical observations, current projects in medical technology and robotics. The experience was rounded off with excursions to the Kepler-Clock in Grieskirchen, hydroelectric power plants, the Ars Electronica Center and the Upper Austrian Forest Garden Institute.
Of course, the participants were able to experience the culture and beauty of Austria: an excursion to the Laudachsee, swimming in the Ödtersee, a visit to a Mostheuriger in Gunskirchen and a guided tour of the city of Wels rounded off the academic programme culturally as well. In addition, the participants visited Hallstatt and Salzburg on their own during the free weekends.
Stay tuned for this year's Summer Academy, which will take place from 12th to 27th July 2022!
The Academy’s intensive, two and a half week programme combines sophisticated theory with hands-on practical experience in engineering and natural sciences. Besides knowledge transfer in these fields, social, cross-cultural and gender aspects were covered and discussed during lectures and workshops.
Lectures laboratories and seminars will cover the following specific issues and current trends:
- Environmental Engineering and Biotechnology
- GMO Detection in Food
- Electronics & Automation
- Robotics Workshop
- Current Topics in Medical Technology
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Mathematics
Applied Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Group project: cutting-edge technologies and their impact on society
- Project Management
- Internet of Things for Astronomical Observation
- Intercultural communication
- Creative Science: Discover Golden Ratio
- Dynamics of Space Vehicles
- Scientific World View
Women in Engineering
- The role of women in science and research
- Science World Café: successful scientists from the FH Upper Austria report from their careers and research projects
- Opportunities for future exchange, degree studies, traineships, funding opportunities
Interesting Places to Visit
- Visit to Rosenbauer, a manufacturer of systems for firefighting and disaster protection
- Andritz Hydro (Water Turbines)
- Museums: Ars Electronica Center – museum for information technology and technological advancements in society
- Cultural highlights in Wels: MUSIKFESTIWELS – music festval in Wels
In addition, the participants have an ongoing project throughout the entire academy. The project encompass scientific and technological aspects as well as creativity and social impact.
A team of highly qualified academic staff from our university as well as from other universities and organisations provide scientific and technical background on workshop topics and information about the role of women in science and their opportunities in scientific careers.
- Broaden technical & scientific knowledge
- Explore the impact of technology on our society in the future
- Earn academic credit (4 ECTS)
- Improve language und intercultural skills
- Make friends from all over the world
- Creativity, fun and experience
- Explore (Upper) Austria
- Target group: women from 18 to 25
- Language of instruction: English
- Venue: University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Wels, Austria | Europe
- Fees: € 810,- including tuition fees, room for the entire stay, meals on weekdays (weekends are free for individual activities), numerous field trips